Saturday, May 18, 2013

VIEWPOINT

Working on my theme selection of - Workshop
I collected an ensemble of tools and other associated items that you might find in a workshop.
And set about with the arrangement and recording using a digital camera, here are the results in a 'contact sheets' style I originally printed them in this format for ease of comparison but they look quite good.









The close ups and zoomed in frames work best, more dramatic some how not as discarded looking as viewing the whole scene particularly from above. The zoomed in viewpoints lend a kind of feel that the tools are ready to be used, have more immediacy.

For my sketched viewpoints, as suggested, I used two 'L' shaped pieces of mount board and two clothes pegs. Oh and a handy cardboard box to hold the frame in the right position. At times I found that staring through the frame caused blurring and double images of the frame sides. I tried to counter this by closing one eye which had its own drawbacks...
anyway these are are my viewpoint sketches.

I liked the triangular format early on, I feel it lends itself to describing possible functions of the workshop and of the geometric shapes you might work on or with in a workshop, furniture, pitched rooves in construction that type of thing.
My original idea was that I wouldn't stage the group too much, to create a more random 'natural' placement,
but through the process it was obvious that this wouldn't necessarily produce interesting shapes and or angles etc from any particular viewpoints. So changing viewpoints did make me focus on this aspect of the arrangement and modify my earlier thoughts.


More from the sketch book. Focusing on some triangular aspects.
At this point I have moved some of the items
 On reflection the tall narrow view is, for me, the one that stands out. When considering which view conveyed the idea of 'Workshop'  the use of a close up of the tools used etc  would be adequate but the added space above and past the objects illustrates the workshop as a place that goes beyond the immediate view.
 The scaled up sketched image. I discarded the L shaped card drew an upscaled frame and allowed my self to go slightly past the frame. After completing the sketch I realised that it was too wide so redrew it and erased the parts that fell outside. Unfortunately too large for the scanner so scanned in two parts and PS'd together.






No comments:

Post a Comment