Sunday, March 23, 2014

Illustration; likes and influences

As a regular 'flicker through' of the Saturday Telegraph Review supplement, I have found it a good source of examples of illustration and illustrators.

I recently became interested in the work of Wesley Merritt an ST Review regular. I like the depth of feeling or meaning that he can exude with what appears, at first sight, to be an economy of line detail and colour.
Me makes clever use of the empty space as well as the subject detail to deliver a message. If there was a style that i would happy to follow it would be Wesley's

You can enjoy his work by visiting his site here: 'Merrittocracy'

Also From the ST Review I came across James Hill 1930 - 2004. Described as One of Canada's most talented illustrators. Fiction, book covers, portraits; also a landscape painter. And created excellent illustrations for the Anne of Green gables books.

The illustration that he did for a short story shown below, I think; is illustration at its best. You get the idea for whole story in one excellently crafted piece. The angry grey colouration of the character the clenched fist the angry pink colour in contrast with the coolness of the pigeon - brilliant!

I have already stated a great liking of Edward Bawden's work initiated from the very first exercise of the course, and now have several books on his work. And a limited edition print. The national collection of his work is held at The Higgins Bedford. The Higgins has recently reopened after complete refurbishment. Its on my list of visits for 2014

I recently purchased a limited edition poster print by James Brown a print maker in Spittlefields East London, not realising that he is also a working illustrator; his illustration work I find equally as engaging as his poster designs.

In a style somewhat reminiscent of Edward Bawden

Researching Melvin Bragg for the editorial illustration exercise I discovered the work of Phil Disley and used his Eccolodges illustration above for reference in the same exercise. His web site is excellent

I have also through the course taken pointers or used examples from: Jessica Rae Gordon Jessica's Blog

In the Tools and Materials Project I selected, looked at and admired the work of Darren Hopes, Carly Allen-Fletcher and Lee Woodgate

For the final assignment I used pieces by Chris Wahl as reference examples of the Pop Art style.

A special mention for the Folio Society, I recently purchased a book as a present and it led me to discover the great patronage of talented illustrators that they have, the particular example Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's was illustrated by Karen Klassen each one is an illustration tour de force. If I could create stuff like this I would more than happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment